Dutch crunch (Tiger) skin

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh

I made black sesame buns on Saturday with a coat of dutch crunch based on a recipe from Teresa's site. I didn't have maple syrup so I used golden syrup and I added a good tablespoon of Horlicks. It was very nice and crunchy when it came out...but that lasted only one hour. As the bread cooled the crunch seemed to absorb moisture from the bread. I wonder if it's because of our humidity. Loved the look.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7940-2/sesametiger.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
265 users have voted.

Replies

rbd 2007 April 18

Hey TP,

I've got no idea what a Dutch Crunch is either, and I AM a dutchie!

This is what we do, when we want to do a 'tiger' topping:

1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 tbl warm water
When it foams stir in:
2 tbl rice flour
1 tsp oil

Brush over dough, prior to your final rise. (or if you're sure your dough will have plenty oven spring, just prior to putting in the oven)

Haven't tried this on any of my sours, so not too sure what the effect will be, if you leave out the dry yeast.......

Happy baking

Roland

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 April 18

You guys are too funny, especially Roland! Yes, in the UK, apparently, it's called tiger skin.

Roland, your recipe (thanks!) is similar. Teresa's fully sourdough (*wink*). Dan has one in his Baking with Passion book...he says you can use either rice flour or semolina. Dom, you're going to give this a go, right?

Perhaps, if I left out the Horlicks, it might have retained its crunch.

wadada's picture
wadada 2007 April 19

[quote="TeckPoh"]
I didn't have maple syrup so I used golden syrup and I added a good tablespoon of Horlicks.
[/quote]
Makes me feel lucky to live in Vermont during sugaring season!
$30 a gallon, or free if you go help collect sap!

Already a member? Login