Pix Question for Graham

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh
or anyone who has a clue.

This 'random image' intrigues me as I'm interested in marking breads. Looks like it's painted on through a stencil. Any idea if that's how it's done? Which bakery made this?

I actually got a potter to make a clay mark but it didn't work. Any marks which appeared during proving, disappeared during baking.

By the way, I'm beginning to appreciate this random image feature. Get to see lots of pix which I missed.
Category: 
up
132 users have voted.

Replies

Graham's picture
Graham 2008 February 28

Hi TP. Incredibly enough, I can not tell you where this image is from! There are now about 2500 images in the image gallery, and they are only searchable by the description of the image...if the person posting choses to give it a description.

Many photos do not have a description. So I will be watching with you as we wait for this photo to appear randomly once more. Though the page you originally copied this image from would have had the name of the gallery (bakery?).

As for the method, I agree that it is most likely a stencil, made from a flour sieve and a medium (plastic? wax? latex? anyone know?) to stop flour falling through in the shape of letters.

I have seen a stencil like this used at il Fornaio, in Melbourne, Australia. See: http://sourdough.com.au/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=2513

At il Fornaio I am failrly certain that the stenciling was done on already proved loaves, immediately before they were loaded into the oven. I expect that this is the secret to ensuring that the stencil retains its shape as much as possible. Graham

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 28

Though you can't trace the origin of that image (no worries!), you managed to unearth 2 more. It's getting more and more fascinating (and beautiful). The latest 2 have a different style. Hmm... silicone stencils if I hazard a guess.

Hey, would love to sit with you and watch the images go by, but, have to cook dinner now.

Thanks!

George Washington 2008 February 28
The "spelt" marking is definitely a stencil done just before loading but the other marks look more like the basket in which they sat had an indentation which the dough would sink into. These are readily available for bulk purchases and able to be customised if desired. (this sounds like an endorsement) You can design a picture or a letter or word and it is cut into the wooden base of cane bread proofing baskets (the inside) when it is turned out you get the pattern of the cane around the outside and the stencil on the top.

Give sourdough.com a bit of a shake otherwise a scout on the web may be another possibility.
TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2008 February 28

Really appreciate all the inputs. Some sleuthing brought me here. Since I'm not going to be in the biz in the near or foreseeable future, I guess that's out coz it's for bulk purchases only. I'm really surprised that such imprints come out at all with the bread expanding during baking.
Graham's picture
Graham 2008 February 28
Tony could be right about the 2nd set of markings coming from an engraving rather than a stencil. I will have to go back and check my series of photos from that shoot...or give the bakery a call.

i once ordered several bannetons with flat wooden bottoms, intending to get the design cut in by a wood craftsperson. Originally I asked Bill44..but he recommended the use of a sophisticated bit of gear that he does not have. They are still not engraved yet.

Already a member? Login