Yummm...eating crow...

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough

Well, thanks to chembake, I am learning new stuff! Today I get to eat crow, yum!

I did up a Two Night Super Sour two days ago. Today I baked...flop! I know what happened, thanks to chembake, and our discussions over the last couple of days about overfermenting.
I have made this recipe several times with great success, this time, I changed the recipe and added a cup of sifted whole wheat flour. The very long fermentation and build up of this particular recipe could not take the whole wheat. It fermented too much. I was a little worried when I smelled alcohol. I should have known better. The dough lost color and was whitish. The oven spring was almost nil. There was one plus though, the bread tastes so good, that several people asked me to make "this" bread again!
I will, this time I will make it a one night sourdough and I bet it will be a winner! The flavor of this bread is tangy, full bodied, and wheaty. It is very delicious!
Here are the pics of the flops:
This is the first loaf:

[img]http://www.northwestsourdough.com/july17d.jpg[/img]

Here is the second and third loaf:

[img]http://www.northwestsourdough.com/july17.jpg[/img]

Here is the crumb:

[img]http://www.northwestsourdough.com/july17c.jpg[/img]

The boule was baked last and as I saw what was happening, I just tried to overbake it with a higher temperature to get it to color up.

I will be posting this learning moment on my blog.

Chembake, there must be a real difference with a motherdough starter or bread dough fermented at a low temperature for a long time, as it does cause the dough to color up wonderfully, compared to a bulk fermented dough at room temperature. I know one ferments faster, but chemically there must be something else going on. I know for one thing, that the colder dough has more co2 available for oven spring, whereas the warmer the dough the less co2 is available and is in fact absorbed back into the gluten, right???

I love that crow

Category: 
up
225 users have voted.

Replies

chembake 2006 July 18

[quote]
whereas the warmer the dough the less co2 is available and is in fact absorbed back into the gluten, right???

I love that crow
[/quote]

You can eat not only a crow,,,,, but also a magpie

Terry fermenting bread dough at lower temperature produces slightly different results if compared at ambient temperatures.
This is attributed to some slight change in dough biochemistry as attributed to variance of the critters activity exposed at different temperature settings.
There is also a slower gas generation which was the result of slower cell metabolism resulting that there is more reactive chemical components left in the dough at cooler temperature than at ambient if we take fermentation time to be fixed

nina 2006 July 19

Ah, this is so helpful! Taking a lot of mental notes today!
Teresa, I've made so many breads that look like that, sort of pale and without too much ovenspring (also with wholemeal flour in the dough). They always taste fantastic.
So what you (and Chembake) are saying is these breads have had too long period of bulk fermentation? Or too much proofing after shaping?

I wonder if my starter is just very fast... it IS very warm this summer... hmmm.
My daughter is pestering me to get on the computer, I see if I'll find time tonight to post a pic of my last bread that turned out pale.

Teresa, I love seeing your perfect loaves but don't ever stop making flops as well! You can't belive how much I learn from them

Already a member? Login