Kneading rolling dough on cold bench

Normbake

Anyone have ideas on how to warm the bench up before kneading it certainly drops the temp of the dough.
Normbake

Category: 
up
301 users have voted.

Replies

Skua's picture
Skua 2007 July 12

The bench has always room temperature, isn't it? Even if it is made of stone and feels cool like my bench. This means 23 degrees C in my case. Warm enough for the dough. Without owning a controlled proofing cabinet I use this temperature for the final proofing too. It is only a matter of enough time not of quality. At least I hope so.

If you can control a higher temperature for the rest of your proceedings you could simply choose a wooden bench. The amount of stolen warmth would be much smaller then.

Skua

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2007 July 12

Gee, my problem is quite the opposite.

Michael (not you, skua), do you jumpstart your dough with nice and warmer-than-blood water?

Normbake 2007 July 14

Ive been using a thermometer for my water and dough temps but I noticed as soon as I put the dough on the cold bench the temp dropped by about 5 degrees. I solved the problem by using a really hot towel on the bench first.
It pretty cool here but still good for baking bread. Like Nina's spelt and beer bread.
Normbake

Already a member? Login