sugar 43 grams
almond meal 22grams
vegetable oil 3grams
corn flour 3grams
cocoa powder 3grams
egg white 25grams
water 2grams
vanilla bean scraped

First dough:incorporate all ingredients in mixer 1st speed 4=5 minutes,2nd speed 2-3 minutes(medium soft dough no gluten development) ferment 22-23c 12-16 hours
final dough: Incorporate flour, first dough, zest,yolks, vanilla been seeds, and half the water in mixer, 1st speed 3=4 minutes,2nd speed 2 minutesto develop gluten,Add half the sugar,mix two minutes 2nd speed add remaining sugarand mix a bit more,Add the softened butter 2nd speed til incorporated ,Add honey and remaining water in 1st speed until well mixed add raisins and citrus peel in 1st speed.
Divide into 500g;preshape into balls, Shape on buttered surface 20 minutes rest, Shape into tight ballls place in molds.
Proof:24=25c 4-6 hours. Dogh should reach 2cm below top of mold.
Finish: slash cross in top place pat of butter in opening,
Finish: Spread thin layer of glaze on top, sprinkle with almonds , pearl sugar, and dust with layer of icing sugarto form crisp top (optional)

Bake: 163 c for 35 minutes cool upside down in molds 4 hours!

Glaze: Combine dry ingredientsin bowl,Gradually blend in oil and eggs to form smooth glaze,Addd water mix till smooth.

Jeremy

Category: 
up
461 users have voted, including you.

Replies

Graham's picture
Graham 2006 December 26

Hi TP,

Well, a good makeshift job anyway. Creative is your amazing pannetone creation / image on the previous page. Incredible!

Our house is 1.5 hours drive north of Brisbane, and 1 - 2 days drive from Sydney and Melbourne (depending on how often you stop for breaks / sleep). There is a good chance that we will be in a house closer to Sydney and Melbourne by March next year. I will let you know, and if that happens we could meet for a meal at one of the bakeries. It would be great to see you.

Graham

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 December 28

Crossing my fingers and toes...

It's confirmed we're putting up [url=http://www.kynetonbushresort.com.au/]here[/url].

And, now....back to Pannetone, the Christmas Edition...

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7229-2/pannexmas06.jpg[/img]

Cresci recipe, with dried cranberries and golden raisins. This is one sorry pannetone, neglected from the start. It looked good as it was proving, that is, when I had the time to give it a glance. I must've forgotten about it while I was multi-tasking on the eve, so it overproved some, because, when I gave it a cross slash to insert a knob of butter and it *pffssssssss*...collapsed a bit. To add insult to injury, I forgot to serve it till this morning, after 3 whole days. It tastes a bit on the dry side. Light but not super light. Oh well.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 2

Darn. The man brought the wrong barley! I suspect they don't have it and thought I really wanted pearl barley. Will have to wait another week.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 December 28

[quote="bethesdabakers"]
[snip]...when I was in London a couple of weeks ago I was entrapped into buying Cresci....spending £60....... I needed it for my professional development. It's a beautiful book as well ...

Mick
[/quote]
[size=24]
£60![/size] Before I lapse back into speechlessness, we'd be very privileged if you could share with us some gems from the book during the Bethesda Meet.

bethesdabakers's picture
bethesdabakers 2006 December 28

Yeah, well I did need to go and have a drink afterwards.

When you come to Bethesda it will be in a glass case like the Book of Kells - strictly a page a day - no photographs.

Can't wait.

Mick

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 November 3

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Will have to wait another week.
[/quote]
I wish you success

J, your pans is very easy ..try this one:

[url=http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gennarino.org%2Flievitonaturale.htm&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools]Praparation of lievito naturale(levain)[/url]

[url=http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gennarino.org%2Fpanettonenatu.htm&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools]Panettone[/url]

SourDom 2006 December 28

Thanks for your encouragement Mick, and I look forward to meeting you in Bethesda

TP - I am sure your Panettone tasted great - I am still enjoying mine a week or so down the track. Drop me a line when you are in this neck of the woods.

This was my Christmas morning loaf - a fruit bread inspired by the 'Perrin' in Maggie Glezer (apple, raisin and hazelnut)

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7230-1/DSCN1849.jpg[/img]

cheers
Dom

PS I won't paste the photo directly in here, given that it is seriously OT, but here is my little [url=http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7232-1/DSCN1866.jpg]home-baked creation[/url] at 2 months

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 December 29

Oooh...the homebaked creation looks scrumptious!

Dom, forgot you were in Melbourne. Hmm...my pannetone is rather sour, but I'm comparing it to the stollen....apples and oranges.

SourDom 2006 November 5

Thanks Jeremy for the recipe. It is getting towards that time of year, plus my chickens have provided me with a few eggs, so I have been turning my thoughts to trying it.

I would prefer to make a Pannetone without yeast, so have used Mick's recipe.
[quote]
It being the festive season I thought I would have a go at a naturally leavened pannetone recipe that Jack Lang posted on the brick oven forum several months ago. It comes from ?Cresci ? The Art of Leavened Dough? by Iginio Massari and Achille Zoia. Jack scaled it down from 20 kilos to 2 kilos and I halved it down to about 1 kilo.

It wasn?t exactly a failure ? it came out light and tasted delicious ? but it didn?t behave the way Jack would have expected it to. Plus I don?t have any benchmarks to judge it by.

First Dough

Starter 50g
Flour 200g
Sugar 62g
Butter 72g
Water 65g
Egg Yolk 70g

Mix until smooth: prove until tripled (10-12 hours) ? says Jack. I proved it overnight and although it moved, it didn?t look very active so I left it ?til about midday.

Second Dough: all the first plus

Flour 50g
Egg Yolk 64g
Sugar 50g
Honey 12g
Butter 77g
Salt 4g
Water 35g
Sultanas 100g
Candied Peel 115g

Jack, who was talking about 2 kilos of dough, says, ?Mix gently; divide and prove at 28C for 40 mins; put into cylindrical paper moulds; prove at 32C for 6-7 hours or until the dough reaches the top of the mould.

For a 1Kg pannetone bake 50 mins at 170C/350F; 2Kg 90 mins at 160C/325F
Once baked the pannetone will be 5-6 times its original size.?

Well, if you?d seen me in contortions spending an hour trying to make paper moulds you?d have been well entertained. In the end I used a 17cm cake tin with a tinfoil extention. I skipped the 40 mins at 28C and let it prove in the tin at room temperature (20-22C ish) from midday until evening. As it looked very sluggish I left it overnight by which time it was about an inch above the tin, and baked it at 7.00 a.m. for 50 mins as above.

As you can see it was nowhere near 5-6 times its original size and it probably could have done with another 10 mins in the oven.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

This was my first try

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5086-1/DSCN1608.JPG[/img]

I had a similar experience to Mick, with a veeeery slow and sluggish 1st dough. I used timings almost identical to Mick's. My 2nd dough had done very little over 8 or 10 hours, so I left it overnight, hoping that it would do its thing. In the morning I found that it was still only half way up the baking tin, and a long way short of the collar of paper that I had optimistically made for it.
I baked it anyway, thinking that it would turn into a brick, in which case the chooks could have it back.

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5088-1/DSCN1609.JPG[/img]

it obviously didn't turn into a brick, and in fact is quite light, and very flavoursome. (I can only imagine how light it might have been if it had increased in volume 6 fold...)

I am not sure where I went wrong.
I wonder if my starter just ran shrieking from all the fat and sugar in the dough.
Another recipe that I plan to try (for Pandoro - in Maggie Glezer's Artisan Baking), has much less butter/sugar in the first dough, which she maintains allows the starter to do its stuff before the 'inhibitors' are added. I wonder if something similar would work here. Alternatively I have thought about trying something that Dan Lepard had once suggested - adding a small amount of sugar to starter refreshments so that it gets used to a more sugary dough.
what do others think?

(I wonder if this thread will turn into a Panettone challenge - anyone out there feeling inspired?)

cheers
Dom

SourDom 2006 November 5

PS Marcus,

thanks for posting that link.
Unfortunately even with the 'web translation' it still is somewhat incomprehensible.

I particularly like the instruction to include 'it knows them' 12 g in the dough (salt???!!!)

Dom

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 November 10

Hallo Dom,
of course its salt..excuse me please, I havn't read it.
Unfortunately I don't speak Italian language, little latin only.
Perhaps I post a translation, cause I wanna bake some panettone this year.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 10

[quote="SourDom"]
(I wonder if this thread will turn into a Panettone challenge - anyone out there feeling inspired?)
[/quote]

Yes!! Why not? Must have missed this post when my computer was down.

Have you got your liners already?

SourDom 2006 November 10

OK TP - you are on!

(though I think given your established cake prowess that you are at a distinct advantage).

Yes - my panettone and pandoro liners have arrived. I only have a couple, and I sort of feel like I should try to work out why my panettone wouldn't rise before I use them up. Any suggestions?

Dom

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 11

Dom,

Thank you. I could use some of that confidence. I'm a bit nervous about this, more so than the baguettes.

Recap of my previous attempts and trepidations:

1. Mine didn't have problem rising. The starter has to be real gungho.

2. It was so ethereally light that the bread had a problem holding its shape? I think it needed an extra 10 minutes of baking. I'm hoping that this time, it will have a good spring and won't collapse on me.

3. I shall attempt to let it cool upside down <--- a step I'm terribly afraid I'll goof up. I have images of the panettone falling out and breaking in a few sections. Egad!

Nevertheless, I'm very excited about making it again.
I LOVE PANETTONE!

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 November 11

Hi Panettone challengers,
My Panettone I did is on the gallery, I think when I did Micks I added more flour, just was too loose! Will go for another recipe and will try to adapt my Pan dolce Genovese to a biga or starter!

Jeremy

SourDom 2006 November 11

I don't know whether it is the climate. While my starter makes great bread, it doesn't seem to rise as much or as fast as others do. I'm trying not to get a complex

Maggie Glezer describes her starter quadrupling in volume in 8 to 12 hours. No matter how many times I refresh mine doesn't seem to get close to that sort of performance.

I suspect that it is probably a combination of the environment (cooler temperatures), though often when I want to zip things along I will put my starter in the oven (turned on briefly then turned off, temp 30-40C), the specific organisms in my starter, and the flour that I use. Presumably the rate and amount of rise of a starter relates to the rate of gas production, and the ability of the starter to hold on to the gas. So it the starter rises less it could reflect less gas production, or more gas escape.

anyway I digress...
Am going to have another go at the Panettone. Haven't quite decided what I am going to change for this attempt.
cheers
Dom

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 November 11

Or ask Bill for some of his! Where is Bill....Billlll?????? Echo, Carol, Carla? Damned you guy's are all at the beach right? Graham Maedi?

Jeremy...overrr and ouuuuttt!
P.S. My levain were a disaster, my niece didn't retard them and I put them in the oven green!(too early) gonna go for bags again, what else...

bethesdabakers's picture
bethesdabakers 2006 November 11

Hiya Dom,

I seem to remember D Lepard suggesting that you add a little sugar when refreshing your starter a couple of times before making a sweet dough.

Never tried it ....

Mick

SourDom 2006 November 11

I remember that too Mick, and it is one of the things on my list to try.

Jeremy - thanks for your thoughts - rye might be the thing to kick it along. I know that the starter survives the oven, as it continues to work well in a range of loaves - it just doesn't do the big spring thing. (The oven trick is me being impatient...)

Going to try the Pandoro tomorrow.

Also have another batch of sourdough baguettes on the way. They are retarding to be baked probably Monday morning (three day sourdough).

cheers
D

SourDom 2006 November 11

Jeremy's Panettone from the gallery

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/3340-2/Panettone.jpg[/img]

I have a long way to go obviously

D

(edit - link fixed. thanks TP)

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 11

Pssst....Dom..the link. Delete the .html.

This was my 2nd attempt (way back in Jan 06...sugary fruits more for the kids). Better. Didn't sink in the middle as I recall. And, as fluffy as the 1st attempt. Wait a min...I made these into minis...don't know if it retained its shape better because of that? Will only be making in 2 weeks' time. Can't wait.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5410-1/panettone0106.jpg[/img]

Remember to post your pandoro and latest baguettes, Dom.

SourDom 2006 November 12

Pandoro is rising (slowly)

will post pictures after I bake it tomorrow.
The recipe is from Maggie Glezer's 'Artisan Baking'

Starter
Mother starter 60g (92%) (NB Glezer uses a firm starter ~60% hydration)
water 30g (46%)
Unbleached high-gluten flour 65g (100%)

1st Dough
Refreshed starter 105g (93%)
Osmotolerant instant yeast 1/4-1/2 tsp (0.7-1.4%)
water 15g (13%)
Flour (as above) 115g (100%)
Egg - 1 large (44%)
Granulated sugar 30g (26%)

2nd Dough
Hard cocoa butter 10g (4%)
Unsalted butter 200g (89%)
Flour (ditto) 225g (100%)
Salt 5g (2%)
1st dough (143%)
Honey 10g (4%)
Eggs - 4 large (88%)
Pure vanilla extract 15g (7%)
Egg yolks 2 large (13%)
Granulated sugar 135g (60%)

The instructions for this are complicated, and I don't know that I will do justice to it.
Ist starter - Knead all together until smooths out.
Let it ferment until fully risen ~4 hours (according to Glezer. I left mine overnight for ~12 hours). NB these quantities make a little more than necessary - so enough to keep for the next dough

1st dough
Stir yeast into the water and let stand for 5 minutes
(NB She specifies special 'osmotolerant' instant yeast that can cope with the high concentration of sugar in the dough. That seemed to tricky to find, and somewhere she mentioned that fresh yeast would also work - which I had, so I used 1/2 tsp fresh yeast)
Measure out starter, and break into 5 chunks - add them to the flour in a mixing bowl. Add yeast and egg and knead until it smooths out. Add the sugar and continue kneading until the dough softens and is very smooth. The dough should be very soft. Put in bowl, covered with plastic wrap and let rise until tripled or quadrupled in size (3-4 hours)
(NB Glezer recommends high protein flour for this recipe because of the high proportion of sugar and fat in the dough. I couldn't access any, so added a small amount of gluten flour to my regular flour (1tsp per cup of flour))

2nd dough
Melt the cocoa butter in the microwave for ~2 mins of in a small pan on the stove
Whisk in the butter (I used Nuttelex) with an electric mixer or hand beater while drizzling in cocoa butter until whitish and doubled in volume. set aside.
Melt 2-3 Tblsp butter and brush carefullly into 2 8 cup Pandoro moulds . Dust the moulds with flour and set aside
Mix the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, then add the 1st dough broken into 5 chunks, the honey and 3 eggs. Using dough hook mix until smooth. Switch to paddle
Add remaining egg and mix till smooth.
Repeat with vanilla and 1 egg yolk, mix
repeat with last egg yolk
reduce mixer speed to low and begin adding the sugar bit by bit. Once all in turn up to medium and mix until very smooth.
Add in half the whipped butter, mix, then add the rest.
When the dough is smooth and silky the mixing is complete.

Divide the dough into 2 pieces (~500g). Flour your work surface and place one piece of dough on it. Roll up the dough into a cylinder, then roll the cylinder into a ball. Round the dough into a smooth tight ball, and place it smoothe side up into one of the moulds. Repeat with the other half.
[This sounds great in theory. My dough was so slack as to make this utterly unimaginable, even for someone relatively used to wet doughs... I eventually gave up, and more or less poured the dough into the moulds!]

Cover the moulds loosely with plastic wrap and let proof at room temp until well domed over the top of the moulds ~12 hours

[It is now about 8 hours - some definite signs of rising. Can't imagine that the dough will have reached the top of the moulds by 12 hours, so am going to leave overnight. If I am up with baby/small children in the night I will take a peek - otherwise will bake in morning)

When they are ready uncover to let them form a light skin.
Preheat oven to 180C
Bake for 30-35 mins
Let cool in moulds for 30 mins, then remove from moulds and let finish cooling upside down on a rack.
When completely cool store in plastic bags. Dust liberally with icing sugar before serving.

Results tomorrow...

cheers
Dom

SourDom 2006 November 13

OK here is the first attempt

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5431-1/DSCN1653.jpg[/img]

As you can see, the cake was well short of the top of the mould.

It had risen a bit by 12 hours, and then had definitely risen by 18 hours - perhaps 2-3 times in volume, but not as much as the recipe would have led me to expect. I was a bit reluctant to leave it any longer (I worry about leaving very rich doughs for long periods in case they start to grow unwanted bacteria).

The mould is not exactly a traditional Pandoro mould
[img]http://www.haloh.com.au/images/products/783/783-medium.jpg[/img]
It needs more height.

Maggie Glezer talks about the dough being very skimpy for the size of the mould (an '8 cup mould'), with an anticipated huge rise. For my cake I would have been better not dividing the dough, and baking it all in the star mould (the other half went in a round tin).

Although this dough rose more than the Panettone, I still don't think that it behaved the way that it was supposed to. It is possible that this related to my starter again, or perhaps I would have been better to find some of that 'osmotolerant' yeast.
I'll be interested to see how TP's "gungho starter" works

cheers
Dom

PS Baguette pics soon on the other thread

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 13

Lovely mould and liner. I'm sure it tastes awesome.

Yes...I would be a bit wary about leaving the batter uncooked with all that eggs.

Have you tried talking to your starter? Supposed to work with plants.

SourDom 2006 November 13

thanks TP, Jeremy

which one were you referring to Jeremy?
the metal one (which I haven't been able to source) is the real deal.
I don't know what the paper one is supposed to be for, but I was able to get that one

here are the crumb shots

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5440-2/DSCN1660.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5443-2/DSCN1662.JPG[/img]

not half bad, though as I have never tasted the original I am not sure what they are supposed to be like.
very light (not as light as TP's mini pans by the look of things!), very vanilla-y, soft, melt in the mouth texture

cheers
Dom

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 November 15

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG1660.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG1666.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG1658.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/jergra/CIMG1665.jpg[/img]
My unorthodox version of Panettone with mixed berries, didn't have any citron, also was retarded so it could of used I think more time for warming up to get a lighter feel, still it tastes nice and fruity!

Jeremy

SourDom 2006 November 18

No pictures yet - the dough is still rising.

This weekend's recipe is a hybrid: Peter Reinhart's Panettone recipe from The Bread-baker's apprentice, converted to an all sourdough version, with a few tweaks from my experience with Pandoro recently.
The aim is to let the sourdough starter do as much as possible before adding all the sugar and fat that will send it to sleep. My starter has been having a small amount of sugar with each refreshment (an increasing 'pinch') this week, so we will see if that makes a difference. I also hand mixed this dough adding things in bit by bit, with Lepard-style rests in between. (No access to a mixer this week)
The Reinhart recipe is very different from the Cresci/Bethesdabakers/Lang version. The proportion of starter is huge. He also uses a tipsy fruit blend that is very reminiscent of Christmas cake. (I don't know how authentically Italian that is).

The recipe (as I did it)

Starter

Starter 100% hydration 198g
(Soy) milk 227g
Plain flour 128g (I meant to use flour with a bit of extra gluten flour but forgot)

mixed and left overnight

Also - the night before soak fruit
Raisins 170g
Candied fruit 170g
Brandy 113g
lemon extract 12g
vanilla extract 12g

1st dough

To starter add
Flour 130g
Sugar 10g
1 egg
water 10g

Stir well, and leave to rise in a warm place for 3-4 hours
(To my astonishment this dough actually tripled in 3 hours - it has never happened before...!)

2nd dough
Add to 1st dough
Flour 253g
salt 5g
water 60g
Mix well - then leave for 10 minutes
Mix again well - leave for 10 minutes

Add
1 egg yolk
sugar 33g
Mix well - leave for 10 minutes

Add
Margarine (butter) 113g whisked until pale and increased in volume
Mix well in.
Add fruit mixture and mix it all together gently until well combined.
It was very sticky at this point, so I added a little extra flour (35g), then turned out on to a heavily floured surface and 'folded' the dough.
Left for 10 minutes

Divided in two, and shaped into balls
Placed into tall moulds/tins with baking paper collar. Covered loosely with plastic wrap.

I had hoped that the dough would have risen to the top of the tin by now (about 9 hours later), but although it has risen it is still reasonably low in the tin. The plan is to leave it overnight and see whether it will rise any more.
Will let you know how it goes.

cheers
Dom

SourDom 2006 November 19

On review this morning - not much more rise if any. (It was a bit cooler overnight, and it is possible that I might have coaxed more activity out of the yeasties at a warmer temperature). The dough had definitely doubled in volume, perhaps 2.5x. It was probably overproved this morning, as it deflated a bit when I tried to cut a cross in the top, and (peeking through the door of the oven) It doesn't look like it is going to have much (if any oven spring).
should have baked last night...

pictures later

D

SourDom 2006 November 19

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5496-2/DSCN1675.JPG[/img]

no oven spring - almost certainly overproved.

And the texture of the cake was denser and 'cakier' than the last effort.
On the plus side the taster liked the fruit mix in this cake - flavour is more involved and more 'adult' with the brandy and lemon essence.

I think this recipe may be worth another go - with high-gluten flour, perhaps reducing the liquid by half, trying not to overprove.
My impression was that both 1st and 2nd dough were active in a warm temp (oven at 30ish degrees), but did relatively little in a cooler temperature. I wonder if my starter needs the heat to compensate for all those things slowing it down. Might be worth trying to keep it warm consistently next time.

Will probably give panettone a break now until a bit closer to Christmas.

cheers
Dom

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 22

Had been having trouble with my line...finally got the problem solved. To keep sane, I baked. 2 barley and oat bread and 2 pannetone today.

This is a hybrid from The Village Baker's Wife. However, I used only half the yeast in the recipe. Amazing growth at every stage. When I plopped the dough into the tins, they were little more than half the height of the tins. 2 hours later, it was more than double that. The shorter one is 5.5" while the taller one is 6" high. Diameter 6".

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5521-2/pannetwo.jpg[/img]

I'm conducting this little experiment to see if it's better to cool the pannetone upright or upside down.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5524-2/panneup.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5527-2/panneusd.jpg[/img]

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 November 22

TP,
I was wondering why you skewered the poor dear? Is that sesame seeds on top? Would of loved the video of the pannetone flipping on it's head!

J, glad to see you back!

doughman 2006 November 22

In Italy it is common to let the Panettone rest/cool upside down on a rack. The reason for
this is to prevent the Panettone from collapsing onto itself during the cooling process. It
will also help maintain its shape.

TP, you're on the right track. Try using those thin bamboo skewers (the kind use for
shish kabobs). We used those in baking school, and the holes were less noticeable.

Doughman

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 22

Hey Doughman, long time no see! Your tip on the skewers is noted. Tks. And, Jeremy, the sprinkles on top are coarse brown sugar. For the 'real' one, I'll top it with something more fancy.

Yes, indeed, the pannetone benefitted from the upside-down cooling. The upright one did collapse by half to one inch, whereas the upside-down one remained nice and straight.

Just a reminder to myself to get more organized this christmas...

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5529-2/pannexmas.jpg[/img]

The texture is fine and light but still not as ethereally light as the Cresci fully sourdough recipe. Will eat this one up and make the cresci one closer to christmas.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5534-2/pannecut.jpg[/img]

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 November 22

Oh yummy YUMMY!

Thanks you lot for all the recipes!

Oh how delicious! I shall be having a lovely time baking, baking!

Carol

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 22

Dom, what's the diameter of your liner? The recipe sounds good and the triple growth shows you're certainly in the right direction. Like you said, probably overproved. Mine asked for 5-6 hrs of proving, but it looked like it was going to escape out of the paper at 2 over hours...so I baked it.

SourDom 2006 November 22

my liners and tins are wider than yours

the paper liner is ~7.5" wide, and the inner diameter of the tin is ~6.5"

your pannetone looks beaut! Carol Field suggests lying the Pannetone on its side 'on a pillow' to cool. That would save the skewer holes, but I wonder about the cake 'sweating'.

I don't know how you managed to achieve the ethereally light Pannetone - but I wonder if the warmer proving temp in Malaysia helps. Jack also always proves warm (when he is not retarding), so perhaps that explains his starter-on-steroids dough behaviour.

cheers
Dom

doughman 2006 November 23

Hey TP,

I've been around...just lurking around and keeping quiet. Your Panettone
is beautiful. You have a knack for decorating!!

If Panettone is made properly, it can have a long shelf life...several
weeks. This can be attributed to the levain and to the high % of butter it
has.

Doughman

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 23

Thanks, Dom and Doughman. I'm quite happy with the bread, very very light although not gossamer like the Cresci one. The danger in making such light breads/cakes is you keep taking slice after slice because you don't 'feel' it. Ladies, beware!!

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 November 24

TP,

It looks lovely and delicious! What a great time of year for fabulous food, especially in the southern hemisphere where SUMMER IS COMING!! (And Santa!)

I made about a dozen bottles of sweet mango chutney yesterday!!! So my kitchen smells fabulous!

Carol.

Oh, TP ... I learnt quite some time ago to 'beware' of most of your recipes!!

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 November 25

That's so right, TP. I recently bought a new, different perfume ... and Alexander, 5, said, "You don't smell like my mummy!"

The smell of a box of mangoes in the kitchen is heavenly! I put some in a ham salad today ... yum.

Carol.

SourDom 2006 December 23

Here is the final Christmas version.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7043-2/DSCN1840.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/7046-2/DSCN1843.JPG[/img]

It doesn't reach the stratospheric heights of a Jeremy or TP version, but still not bad.

I went back to Mick's recipe (aka the 'Cresci' recipe). The main difference was the proving temperature. It has been very warm in Melbourne the last day or so, and my starter has been racing, so I thought it might be worth another go.

The first dough behaved exactly as Jack says it should - tripling in 9 hours (I put it in a large measuring jug so that I could measure its progress).

The second dough was slower (though perhaps the kitchen temperature had started to fall by them). It took about 9 hours to double in volume.
Unfortunately my timing was a bit askew, so I ended up baking the loaf at 2am! (perhaps I could have left it till morning, but I was worried about it overproving).

The loaf would have had more height if I had a narrower mould I guess.

I also modified the fruit a little this time - added 2tsp brandy, 1/2 tsp each of vanilla and lemon essence, and the grated zest of a lemon and an orange.

verdict: still nowhere near the fluffiness of TPs, but extremely tasty and well worth the effort.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

Dom

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 December 23

Looks very fluffy to me. Yes...use a narrower mould next time. I can't believe I plain forgot all about making pannetone!

I've been making
55 gingerbread men
59 pcs apricot macadamia biscotti
54 pcs toffee brownies topped with chocolate and half a maraschino cherry
Pecan Nougat Fudge
6 dresden stollens @950g each
5 fruit cakes

Off to refresh some starter............

Pages

Already a member? Login