Basic white from Teresa's coastal recipe

nina

Hello all!
Long time no post... as you might remember we've been moving this summer and just as our internet and phone was back up it went away again - the horror!

But of course I've been baking just the same (well not quite the same after I started teachers seminarium again late august, it's not as easy to find the time, especially for the danish rye that needs 3 hours in the oven...)

I wasn't quite happy with my white sourdough bread so I've been focusing on finding a basic white recipe that worked for me - and tasted great.
I've been a bad girl and haven't taken any pictures of my attempts... but I did remember to do a few snapshots of the last loaf I made:
[img]http://home20.inet.tele.dk/desdemona/misc/x061004_basic2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home20.inet.tele.dk/desdemona/misc/x061004_basic1.jpg[/img]

I've ended up modifying Teresa's coastal loaf recipe and I'm very exited about the bread it produces! So tasty with a chewy crumb and heavenly golden crust. I'm not sure my snapshots really does the crust justice...
I've also found a good schedule that fits my daily routine - it includes 24 hours in the fridge, something I think helps develops the great taste of the bread.

I'm still struggling with slashing the bread but as you can see Bill's lame helped a LOT!

(I'm also still struggling with my new oven, damn piece of crap...)

Category: 
up
213 users have voted.

Replies

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 9

Glad to have you back, inspiring the bread looks like nice light coming in from the country!

Jeremy

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 9

sproiong sproing, hey my keyboard doesn't like it..

What the hell's sort of rye do you have, nina? 3 hours? ähh..

What damn piece of crap? It's an oven, only oven, it's your turn to get familiar with

But your loaf is well done, perhaps a little overproved, but all right.
Looks tasting very nice

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 9

Don't mind Bianchi man, he is a bit well....lost in translation!
Glad to have you back Nina!

Jeremy

nina 2006 October 9

Thanks all of you!

@bianchifan: well, compared to my old oven (my beloved Voss ) this one is crap... the heat is not distributed very evenly, the heat from the bottom is not as strong as the top heat - and I'm also having doubts about the thermostat. This oven believes it can heat up to 250 C in 10 min... yeah right
But you're right, practice helps a lot and of course I can bake bread using it. It's still crap though.

About the rye: Traditional danish ryebread with a very wet dough and in a big tin... baked 2 hours inside the tin and 1 hour without the tin on the afterheat.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 9

She has a great recipe, I did it, maybe someone will show Bianchifan a link to the thread, I'm late to work!

Jeremy

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 10

[quote="Jeremy"]
She has a great recipe, I did it, maybe someone will show Bianchifan a link to the thread, I'm late to work!
[/quote]

He won't bake anything in tins, so it's lost on bianchifan

But he [b]does[/b] know pumpernickel and the like, so it is not as if he hasn't got a clue about slow baked rye bread...

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 10

[quote="nina"]
About the rye: Traditional danish ryebread with a very wet dough and in a big tin... baked 2 hours inside the tin and 1 hour without the tin on the afterheat.
[/quote]
Ok, excuse me plese, I didn't know that bread.
Being in Denmark, I alwasys passed through to Romo (shipping transfer to Sylt ). Once I stopped for getting a Coke..but catching the price I stumbled backwards and finished my ride..the articles costs about 3 times more as in Germany (1994)

Do you own your oven or is it built in?
If the bottom heat isn't strong enough, try a baking stone.

Already a member? Login