[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4561-2/yum.jpg[/img]

and its crumb
[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4564-2/yumcrumb.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
256 users have voted.

Replies

Croc 2006 August 18

and this crumb pic is from the "worst" side where my owen doesn't do the job too well

this was 500wheat +50wholemeal +50rye with 180gr of 100% starter and final dough was at 68% hydration

Croc 2006 August 18

this really got me thinking about my owen
in short it sucks
bottom was JUST done (on pizza stone that was heated for over 1hour)
top without turning bread on one side is almost burnt where on other side is just ready

i still can't find anywhere good size stones to put in my owen and i think this would help fair bit

other thing that i would like to get sorted is my bread texture, it would like to get it more soft, fluffy or whatever you want to call it
same recipe but yeasted comes out almost white and is really soft, while sourdough is more moist and not as soft.
any advice on this ?

Croc 2006 August 18

btw this was the first time i did the short kneading, 10sec, 15min 10sec, 15min, 10sec, 3hours, streatch and fold, 1hour s&f, 1hour, shape, 2hours, bake.

btw this was my first time i transfered bread from towel to owen by hand
to people worry about this move, don't panic, get things organized before hand so you don't look for knife to slash or spray bottle got no water and once all is ready just do it.

i set alarm for 60sec than i done "dry test" acted out all steps to see how long does it take me (50sec) than when i really did it i done it in 45sec and this was with good 10sec pause while looking at the dough and thinking "what if i ruin it" once i got over that i just fliped it on my hand fast put towel down and placed bread on the owen stone that i had sitting on owen try that was half way out from owen.
VERY EASY, just do NOT panic and you can't go wrong, and this was quite high hydration dough so i can imagine with lower hydration it would be as hard as walking in a park

Croc 2006 August 18

speaking of sour, my starter is so sour i would like to know how to reduce this, i still got fair bit of that sour milk smell and the really nice fruity smell doesn't want to come back as it was about two weeks ago.
bread taste is very sour, which isn't bad but i would like to reduce this.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 18

[quote="Croc"]
this really got me thinking about my owen
in short it sucks
top without turning bread on one side is almost burnt where on other side is just ready

i still can't find anywhere good size stones to put in my owen and i think this would help fair bit
[/quote]

Hmm...I don't have a stone, I use a thick tile and I don't even put the bread directly on the stone (lol, don't want to mess up the tile), but my bottoms get nice and brown. So, it must be your oven. I use a fan-forced oven and crank it up as high as possible for an hour. BTW, croc dear, oven spells with a 'V' in it.

[quote]
other thing that i would like to get sorted is my bread texture, it would like to get it more soft, fluffy or whatever you want to call it
same recipe but yeasted comes out almost white and is really soft, while sourdough is more moist and not as soft.
any advice on this ?
[/quote]

Try substituting the water in your recipe with milk, and plain flour for half of whatever flour.

Croc 2006 August 18

[quote="TeckPoh"]
BTW, croc dear, oven spells with a 'V' in it.
[/quote]

lies, all lies

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 18

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Hmm...I don't have a stone, I use a thick tile and I don't even put the bread directly on the stone (lol, don't want to mess up the tile), [b]but my bottoms get nice and brown[/b].
[/quote]

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 August 18

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Why? You don't believe me? I'll show you the next time!
[/quote]
Bet you don't

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 18

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Why? You don't believe me? I'll show you the next time!
[/quote]

When is "next time" TP

carla's picture
carla 2006 August 19

[quote="TeckPoh"]
Soon, Carla, soon. Some people can get really excited over a pic!
[/quote]

Well it is not everyday that we get a pic of TeckPoh's nice and brown bottom. Enough to get excited about isn't it?

SourDom 2006 August 19

Well done Croc,

your loaf looks great!

You had lots of questions

[quote]
in short it sucks
[/quote]

I have also had this problem with my stone, and I am unclear whether it is the stone or the fan forced oven. Interestingly if I put my dough on a metal tray I find that the base cooks much quicker.
One option you could consider would be to heat a metal pizza tray in the oven with the stone. Take the tray out (careful!), and transfer the dough on to this, then put the tray back in on top of the stone. When the base is almost cooked tip the dough off the tray onto the stone for the last 10 minutes or so of baking (actually I don't know whether this is necessary).

Alternatively try turning the oven up high initially, then lowering the heat to reduce the browning of the top, while giving the base enough time to cook.

[quote]
any advice on this ?
[/quote]

sorry to disilusion you Croc, but the natural texture of sourdough is not soft and fluffy. One thing that you could try would be to substitute milk (or soy milk) for 1/2 of the liquid. This will make the texture somewhat softer.
(oops just read TP - gave same answer)

[quote]
speaking of sour, my starter is so sour i would like to know how to reduce this, i still got fair bit of that sour milk smell and the really nice fruity smell doesn't want to come back as it was about two weeks ago.
bread taste is very sour, which isn't bad but i would like to reduce this
[/quote]
are you discarding almost all starter before refreshing (ie you need max 1 teaspoon of starter to 90g flour and 90g water to yield 180g starter)?
also - it may be that your starter is past its peak? You could keep your starter at a slightly cooler temperature, or use it earlier?

cheers
Dom

Croc 2006 August 20

hi sourdom
thanks for the kind words

it sure looks great and it is in part thanks to your helpfull posts

i think you right about pizza stone, i remember one other bake that i did on silicon sheet and bottom was great, almost burnt but not quite, perfect in other words.

will try next one this way again now that i got the rest going ok

as for the crumb softness i'm well awear that sourdough is different but i remember eating true sourdough breads in poland that were sort of half way and it was great.

i hate it very soft/fluffy crumb way you get yeasted bread but sourdough is too extreme the other way.

i'm searching for some polish internet forums where bakers post but so far nobody want to share recipe with me.

my breads are quite high hydration, with some bakes i go all the way to 70% could this be part of my "problem"? is it worth trying to make something closer to 60% ?

Croc 2006 August 20

oh btw the milk addition didn't really do much good, if anything it maybe made it worst just got whiter colour.

also what would 60% rye 40% wheat combination do ? would be the crumb softer? i'm skipping bake tonight but tomorrow i will try more rye, if someone got recomendation for rye/wheat ratio(or whole recipe) i'm all ears so tomorrow i will try it.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 20

[quote="Croc"]
oh btw the milk addition didn't really do much good, if anything it maybe made it worst just got whiter colour.
[/quote]

Not quite clear here. What do you mean it got worse? Crumb texture and crumb colour are 2 different matters. What you are interested in is to get a softer crumb, no? Are you saying you want a softer crumb but would like to retain the rustic colour?

Anywayz, what milk did you use? If it's fresh milk, you have to scald and cool it first, because there are some protein stuff in the milk which need to be done in, if not they will weaken the gluten, hence a dense bread.

IMHO, 60% rye 40% wheat sounds heavy. You should be more successful with 30% rye (like Bill's rye loaf) or less, and do add some plain flour in there somewhere too.

Croc 2006 August 20

couldn't care less about the colour

i was talking about softness, i think it was about the same, if anything than it got worst but this could be also to do with little underproofing of my last bread, anyway to clear it up and make it simple lets say it didn't make difference.
i used 180gr milk 200gr water

Already a member? Login