Coles and Bilo stores that stock Laucke Wallaby Flour

giles

Hi all,

The other thread(s) on Laucke flour have got a bit long; I thought it might be useful to have one in which people can post the stores that they have found stock Laucke Wallaby flour and other suitable Laucke flours if anyone finds any in stock.

Most Coles seem to stock the various Laucke bread mixes that have yeast included but not the bakers flour. Given the number of Coles and Bilo stores around the place, it's probably not worth compiling a list that don't stock the good stuff.

To start the ball rolling:

Brunswick (Barkly Square shopping centre, Barkly Street) in Victoria

Normbake reports that a Bilo near him in South Brisbane stocked it, but that may be past tense. Normbake, any update?

KazaKhan?®© (thank heavens for cut&paste) reports that Mt Hutton (state unknown ... I guess locals will recognise it!) stocks it, but we're to keep our hands off. So shh! Buy discreetly.

Bill44 reports that Lakehaven will be stocking it again after his discussions with their management.

Apologies to anyone I've missed.

Giles

Category: 
up
363 users have voted.

Replies

Normbake 2006 July 18

Coles Loganholme at the Hyperdome here in South east Brisbane has at least 5 bags of 5 kg Laucke wallaby flour when I checked on Saturday 15th July
and Bilo has or had 1 bag yesterday Monday 17th July till I put it in the shopping trolley. Coles seems to be the better supplier than Bilos.

Have had computer problems thats why the late reply.

Found a good way to final proof my bread during this cold weather I put it in the car the kitchen temp was 15c but it was a lot warmer in the car, I thought it was an ingenious idea, wife thought I was going/gone mad

Regards Normbake

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 18

We'll soon see a new range of models out.
Falcon Fermenter
Passat Proofer.
Commodore Couche.
Berlina Banneton.
Masserati Mixer.
Rover Retarder.
Lamborghini Lame.
Peugeot Peeler.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 18

Hey KazaKhan!

BiLo Mt Hutton has just run out of Wallaby.

It's in my car!

Also ... for people up Newcastle/Lake Macquarie way ... Newcastle Kitchen & Cutlery are ordering The Handmade Loaf for me. They stock a few books, but not Dan's. $49.95 - bout the same as Amazon or any other outlet.

Carol.

KazaKhan®© 2006 July 18

[quote="SourYumMum"]
Hey KazaKhan!

BiLo Mt Hutton has just run out of Wallaby.

It's in my car!
[/quote]
Jebus, ya gotta be quick. They had none last night not that I was expecting them too I knew they had a delivery coming overnight and now you've taken the last bag
But really it doesn't matter I have almost 10Kg at the moment & have never had the trouble getting it other people seem to be experiencing.

[quote="SourYumMum"]
Also ... for people up Newcastle/Lake Macquarie way ... Newcastle Kitchen & Cutlery are ordering The Handmade Loaf for me. They stock a few books, but not Dan's. $49.95 - bout the same as Amazon or any other outlet.
[/quote]
Having borrowed that book from the TAFE library recently my review is "bah humbug".

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 18

They probably keep 10 bags out the back!

Shame about the book, Kaza. I'm looking forward to it as it has such glowing reviews from many forum members. And I'm hoping it will plug a few gaps in my knowledge.

Which TAFE campus are you at? Newcastle? Tighes Hill?

KazaKhan®© 2006 July 18

[quote="SourYumMum"]
They probably keep 10 bags out the back!

Shame about the book, Kaza. I'm looking forward to it as it has such glowing reviews from many forum members. And I'm hoping it will plug a few gaps in my knowledge.

Which TAFE campus are you at? Newcastle? Tighes Hill?

[/quote]
The days of keeping stock like that [i]out the back[/i] are over.
$50 for a very thin book mostly filled with pictures, other than that you get Dan's no knead method. Having made an impulse purchase recently also from Newcastle Kitchen & Cutlery I'd also say bah humbug to Rose Levy Beranbaums Bread Bible, a reviewers quote somehwere in the book mentions it contains Rose's 150 [i]favourite[/i] bread recipes that alone would've of warned me off had I noticed it before buying. Who has 150 favourite bread recipes
A book I have read and will probably get around to buying is Hamelman's Bread book.
They don't do baking at Newcastle or Tighes Hill, I'm at Hamilton although that's probably where you're thinking of with Newcastle, why are you going to sign up? There's an artisan bread course coming up it costs $450 for 4 days I think, I can get you more info if your interested, actually the blurb mentioned this site...

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 19

Hi Kaza,

I'd love to do the course when I know a bit more, and have a bit more money - which could well be never.

I just wondered if the library was at the TAFE opposite my employer in Parry St.

KazaKhan®© 2006 July 19

[quote="SourYumMum"]
Hi Kaza,

I'd love to do the course when I know a bit more, and have a bit more money - which could well be never.

I just wondered if the library was at the TAFE opposite my employer in Parry St.

[/quote]
The course is too expensive I think but artisan bread & chocolate are now part of the commercial baking course (AFAIK) so I'll cover it next year and hopefully in more detail. But I'm still going to look into doing the short course.
You're that close, you should come to TAFE for the cheap feed in the cafe and baked items should be getting sold again soon. You could also drop into the library and peruse the books of course...
Also why don't you get your Wallaby from Marketown Bi-Lo then?

KazaKhan®© 2006 July 11

[quote="giles"]
KazaKhan?®© (thank heavens for cut&paste) reports that Mt Hutton (state unknown ... I guess locals will recognise it!) stocks it, but we're to keep our hands off. So shh! Buy discreetly.
[/quote]
New South Wales...
Coles @ Belmont
Bi-Lo @ Marketown (Newcastle West)
And I'm sure a number of others in the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie areas. But it is usually sold out, they need to stock more than two bags!!! More important to me is getting access to other Laucke flours?

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 12

Kazakhan, spoke on-line with Sam Laucke. They are only supplying Coles with Wallaby flour and bread mixes, not rye flour unfortunately.

KazaKhan®© 2006 July 12

[quote="Bill44"]
Kazakhan, spoke on-line with Sam Laucke. They are only supplying Coles with Wallaby flour and bread mixes, not rye flour unfortunately.
[/quote]
Yes I know that. Laucke rye flour can be had from Manildra so if you know of a bakery using Manildra flour they may be able to get some Laucke rye for you. Well our rye at TAFE is Laucke and it comes from Manildra as they don't do their own rye.
Eventually I would like to open my own bakery in which case I'd like to test the rest of Lauckes manufacturing flours. I should send off my own e-mail to Laucke...

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 12

KazaKhan....gotcha!

Thanks for the info. I will try to encourage Warners Bay Coles to stock it ... and it's great to see, Bill44, that you've been in touch with Sam Laucke.

Hopefully getting lots of encouragement from us will give them a bit of help getting stocked where we want them!

Happy days!

Croc 2006 July 21

Bi-Lo in pakenham (lake estate) stocks it but i got last two bags
Coles in pakenham got some but you have to race me to the shop as i plan to buy all they good today

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 21

KazaKhan ...

I just never go to Marketown ... can't stand it ... yes I know it's a 5 minute walk from work, but I just don't go there. Mt Hutton is on the way to my sons preschool and we drive past it four times a week.

KazaKhan®© 2006 July 21

[quote="SourYumMum"]
I just never go to Marketown ... can't stand it ...
...Mt Hutton is on the way to my sons preschool and we drive past it four times a week.
[/quote]
I can understand that.
My daughter goes to a centre on Tenant Rd...

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 July 21

Kaza ... Mt Hutton needs an entire revamp as well ... but it's good for a quick shop as Coles at Warners Bay wouldn't know 'fresh' produce if they fell over it.

Both my boys go to the deaf and blind kids preschool. My boys are neither, fortunately, but go as 'community' kids, or peers, for the kids with disabilities. And it's just beautiful to boot! AND they have two pet sheep!

giles 2006 July 14

Coles in Northcote, Victoria. Hasn't been there other times I've looked in this store, but there's current shelf space and several bags available.

forno 2006 July 15

[quote="giles"]
Coles in Northcote, Victoria. Hasn't been there other times I've looked in this store, but there's current shelf space and several bags available.
[/quote]

Bi Lo in Northcote too

giles 2006 July 16

[quote="forno"]
[quote="giles"]Bi Lo in Northcote too
[/quote] [/quote]
That's definitely a change. I seldom shop at BiLo, but I checked a few weeks back and they didn't stock it. Else I'd not have investigated foreign climes like Brunswick!

Giles

P.S. Used some of this flour for the first time today: nice dough. Not so nice loaf: it was over proved. In hindsight, the enthusiasm with which the dough rose during the bulk ferment might have been a clue. I suppose if this was easy, everyone would be doing it. :sigh:

Already a member? Login