Here he is.

Bill44's picture
Bill44

Hi Folks, if you'll have me I'd like to come back.
Won't have anything to report until a small medical crisis with my ma-in-law is resolved.

Upcoming program is a second attempt at a sourdough scone recipe supplied by Teresa, my first try was a complete disaster.

A one and a half sized batch of Don's Vienna white, made into 3 mini bags. This will be my introduction to Don's Starter which he has kindly sent me.

I will also be making my first attempt at a batch of Kaiser Rolls, bearing in mind that my first try of a new recipe [i]usually[/i] has some, shall we say, [i]interesting results[/i]. This is also another recipe supplied by Teresa.

Somewhere in among this I will have to find time to do the usual 3 loaves of white, because if I rely on getting the first three on the list right I could starve.

Just a tip and not intended as spam, if you are looking for some good recipes, in particular for different things like bagels, English muffins, and some really different breads, you might take a look at Teresa's site, and her blog. There are some free recipes and for a small fee you get access to the special recipes pages which are being added to all the time. These recipes are ones she has developed herself, and put a lot of work into I might add. The recipes are in US cup measurements, but I am pressuring her to go metric. I use a few of her recipes and my standard white loaf recipe has been changed to the free one on her website.
Teresa's website http://www.northwestsourdough.com/index.html
blog http://northwestsourdough.wordpress.com/

Category: 
up
263 users have voted, including you.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 June 29

Welcome back, Bill! I see you've been busy.

Yes, I've seen Teresa's site. "Great-looking loaves you've got there, Teresa!"

For some reason I'm a bit tired today. Talk to you later.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 June 29

Welcome back Mate!
I already have a question, if I wanted to send you someof my sour, how do you proceed? Dry it? How?

Jeremy

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 June 29

It's very nice of you Bill, to say such nice things about my site and blog, I am very happy to know I have done some good with my sourdough endeavors.
Can't wait to see your pictures of the Kaiser Rolls If anyone else is interested I will post the recipe and pictures.
Have a great day,
TEresa

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 June 30

[quote="Jeremy"]
Welcome back Mate!
I already have a question, if I wanted to send you someof my sour, how do you proceed? Dry it? How?
Jeremy
[/quote]
Hi Jeremy, it's good to be back mate, I missed nearly everybody.
To dry a starter, stretch some plastic wrap over the back of a baking tray and paint a thin coat of your starter on it. Allow it to dry, usually 24 hours. Put the dried flakes in a ziploc bag and you are in business. Mark the customs declaration "Dried Sourdough Starter", I've had three arrive in Aus. OK when marked like this.
Will PM you my address.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 June 30

Thanks Bill,
Will follow I have a long 4th of July weekend and even though I am stacked with football matches to watch, barbeques to attend as well as the Tour De France to watch, just wait at the box it'sa comin!

Jeremy

giles 2006 July 1

[quote="Bill44"]
Hi Folks, if you'll have me I'd like to come back.
[/quote]

Sure would!

Giles

P.S. Your exhortations to post more often are a bit challenging when baking frequency is on the order of once per week!

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 1

[quote="giles"]
P.S. Your exhortations to post more often are a bit challenging when baking frequency is on the order of once per week!
[/quote]
I realise that, and fully understand, but it takes less than 30 seconds to make a comment on someones post, like "Looks yummy Alice, nice job." or "Looks bloody terrible Fred, what did you stuff up this time?"
Do you see the point I was trying to make?

And while we're on the subject:- to all, post your mistakes too, you and we will learn far far more from our mistakes than we will learn from the best loaf we ever make.

giles 2006 July 1

[quote="Bill44"]
I realise that, and fully understand, but it takes less than 30 seconds to make a comment on someones post, like "Looks yummy Alice, nice job."
[/quote]

Point. I will try harder.

[quote="Bill44"]
And while we're on the subject:- to all, post your mistakes too, you and we will learn far far more from our mistakes than we will learn from the best loaf we ever make.
[/quote]

I could post a picture of the oven burns on my arm from yesterday's bake, but I don't think you want to see them! I will be more careful next time.

No pictures of the bread: not only did I dent it when I burnt myself, but I've given half of it away and eaten most of the other half. Thus giving myself an excuse to rev the starter up this evening for more baking tomorrow, heh heh.

Cheerio,

Giles

nina 2006 July 2

Good to see you back, Bill!

I actually baked twice this week but the breads were eaten before I had the chance to take pics.

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 July 2

Giles, I know the feeling mate, carrying the odd battle scar myself. Any excuse to bake is worth exploiting.

Hah Nina, it's funny how quickly they can dissapear like that. Now and again I have posted a picture of just the remains of a loaf. Eating a freshly baked loaf is one temptation I readily give in to.

Already a member? Login