White Alaska

Bill44's picture
Bill44

You may remember that Teresa did a starter speed comparison a while ago, and the Alaska starter was a speed merchant. I have had this starter for a while but haven't used it until today.
Yes it is a speed merchant, and there is also a hidden suprise which I'll tell you about further down.
Three and a half hours first proof at 25C, shape and 2 hours final proof at 25C. The crust is very brown as there is 3 tsp of sugar in the recipe, which is the only difference, apart from the starter, to a standard white loaf.
The rise is better than the pictures show.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4068-1/new_Alaska+001.jpg[/img]

Now the suprise comes from the crumb. As you can see the crumb is not a mass of big holes, but even though all the flour in it is 12.5% bakers flour, the crumb is the softest I have ever tasted from a sourdough loaf. The sour has to be tasted to be believed, it is not screw your face up sour but even though it is a good twenty minutes since I tasted this loaf, the sour taste is still quite strong on my tongue.

This starter is shaping up as a regular in my baking.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/4070-1/new_Alaska.jpg[/img]
This photo is not into the thickest part of the loaf yet so you can see that it actually had a very good rise.

Category: 
up
180 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 June 15

Mmm...sounds nice and sour although the proving times/temperature are not too long nor too brief. Definitely worthy of being revived.

That reminds me...a friend gave me a frozen starter last month...yet to try out.

northwestsourdough's picture
northwestsourdough 2006 June 19

Its Amazing...How much your Alaska Bread looks like mine, even the color, Bill! I have a picture of mine posted on my site on the Alaska page.
I know what you mean when you say, "The rise is better than the pictures show". I often have that problem when taking pictures, it is too bad two demensions flattens everything out so much. I often take many pictures trying to show how beautiful a loaf looks to me, usually unsuccessfully. I also wish I could portray the smell somehow! Oh well!
Your Alaskan loaves of bread look delicious and especially wonderful for toast and sandwiches, Bill. Great job!
I am so happy that you like the starter!
Teresa

Already a member? Login