Complete Noob alert

TJ's picture
TJ

Gday Peeps,

I'm new here(only found this page yesterday while researching yeast) and completely new to home bread baking. Its something I've been wanting to get into for a while though. I've never baked a loaf of bread that wasn't done in a breadmaker ( no don't stone me please). Having said that I used to help my mum bake bread as a youngster. Bless the old duck... She's a great cook but she couldn't make bread worth s***.

My wife and I live in rural WA and are on the road towards self sufficiency. I've just recieved a couple of books as a present and am ready to take the plunge. The 2 books I got were Kiko Denzers Build your own earth oven and the Bread Builders by Wing and Scott. If anyone would like to suggest any other essential reading I'm all ears.

I thought I'd just put in an intro before I start asking dumb questions.

Tony

Category: 
up
239 users have voted.

Replies

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 May 29

WelcomeTJ,
Dan Lepards The Hand Made Loaf and Jeff Hamelmans Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes and Amy Scherbers "Amys Bread". There are plenty more, just enjoy!

Jeremy

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 May 30

Hi Tony, welcome to the flour bag.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. We all started somewhere and even the experienced ones among us still get "Interesting results" at times.

TJ's picture
TJ 2006 June 26

Thanks for the welcome... Sorry I haven't been back since but real life got in the way. Been busy getting this place ready for the market. Its on now so i can relax a little until the stress starts (moving).

Probably won't be starting any sourdough now until we've moved but I'll be able to be around more at least.

One of the benefits of the move will be it will give me the time and equipment nessecary to get a woodfired oven happening. Maybe once it is I can have a "oven warming" and invite some of you guys up.

Tony

Maedi's picture
Maedi 2006 June 26

Welcome Tony . Hope the sale of your place goes well. Thankyou for such a friendly oven warming invitation.

Enjoy your stay
Maedi

Already a member? Login