Arranging the oven

Bushturkey's picture
Bushturkey
Hi.
When I bake, I've re-arranged my oven so that I have my steam pan on top, directly beneath the element. I did this to avoid burning the top of my loaves and to hopefully get even browning of the bread.
The baking tile is at the bottom, but not right at the bottom. I have a thermometer in the oven, and on the tile as shown below:

Do you think the steaming would be as effective as if the pan was at the bottom?
I seem to have fixed my un-even browning problem at least
Category: 
up
289 users have voted.

Replies

Danubian's picture
Danubian 2008 April 8
but your approach sounds reasonable. But you can only determine the effectivness of the technique by trying it. One thing I might do is use a black pan/tray for the water since it absorbs heat more readily than a silver or light colour tray.
gul_dekar 2008 April 8
My setup is similar but mine is further up the racks mostly because I use a gas oven and the bottoms seem to brown too fast when I place them near lower shelves. If the heat is from bottom, most of it should be near the top right?

I use a heavy enamel pan as the steam pan which I picked up from students who throw out their cookware when they move out of the building. :D

Already a member? Login