There has been a bit of interest in this bread as a sourdough. So I have made this recipe which incorporates sour starter in place of baker's yeast.
Enjoy and please share your results! I haven't had a chance to do this yet.
|All Purpose White Flour||394 grams||13.91 oz||100.00%|
|Water||263 grams||9.28 oz||66.75%|
|Sour Starter (100% hydration)||88 grams||3.11 oz||22.34%|
|Liquid Honey||18 grams||0.64 oz||4.57%|
|Sea Salt||7 grams||0.25 oz||1.78%|
|Rolled Oats or quick cook oats||58 grams||2.05 oz||14.72%|
|Ground Flax Seeds||22 grams||0.78 oz||5.58%|
Total Flour Weight: 394 grams
Percentages are relative to flour weight (flour equals 100%) and every other ingredient is a percentage of this. Flour from the starter is not counted. This recipe was originally in grams and has been converted to other measures.
- For proofing/resting times, please use your favorite method of folding/resting.
- Shape into final form, cover and refrigerate overnight ( 8 -12 hours)
- Remove from cold and allow to warm up to room temp for about 2 hours
- Preheat your oven to 430 F and place a tray of water in the bottom rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 400 F and remove the tray of water.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, and remove it from the pan. Place it back in the oven on the rack for another 5 - 10 minutes if the bread is not fully cooked.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!