Any Thoughts?

burls

Having problems leavening the dough.... Left in fridge overnight, left out in the morning.
My starter was bubbling away nicely prior, but did not aerate the bread sufficiently.
GULP!! Had to add very small quantity of yeast to get it moving. Sorry.
This sourdough caper is completely addictive yet incredibly frustrating!!
On the plus side - Crust / flavour magnificent.
Recipe I found in forums from Dan Lepard catersearch masterclass.

[img]http://sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/5423-2/Picture+009.jpg[/img]

[size=18]I am in awe of some of the bread I've seen on this site! Well done everybody![/size]

Category: 
up
166 users have voted.

Replies

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 November 12

Welcome, Burls! Greetings from M'sia. Where do you hail from? Nice bread! You've come to the right place....we're all addicts...of good bread.

Would need some details on your fermentation/proving times. At what stage did you add the yeast? Did you give your bread ample chance to perform? If your starter is bubbling, I don't see why it won't work on its own.

SourDom 2006 November 12

Burls

welcome, and well done - your loaf looks great.
There is no need to apologise for using yeast. Most of the sourdough loaves that you can buy are actually hybrids.
You will get better flavour from a pure sourdough loaf, and I would encourage you to perservere with it. As TP suggests - give us a few more details and we will see what we can do to help

cheers
Dom

nina 2006 November 12

Welcome! That bread looks very good and tasty.

When I put my dough in the fridge for bulkfermentation in the evening it usually won't have risen very much in the morning. That doesn't mean it isn't active though! Usually I let it sit in the fridge for longer, say 18-20-22 hours and it will have doubled in size.
There's no problem in removing it from the fridge earlier than that, but it might need an hour or two at room temperature before you shape it.

SourDom taught me a nice trick that I often use:
[quote]
To know how long to prove your dough - this is what I have been doing (thanks to Dan): (...) Scoop/tip it out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface - before you poke or disturb the dough very much - slash the top rapidly with a very sharp knife. (...) What you will find is that when the dough is ready it will have a rich network of tiny bubbles honeycombed below the surface of the dough.
[/quote]

If you see only a few bubbles you'll need to leave the dough for another hour at room temperature before you check again. This is a great way to see how much fermentation has been going on, much more accurate that looking at how much the dough has increased in size.
Good luck

Already a member? Login