Can't stop the spread

trevor

Hi. I've been making sourdough for the past 18 months. I use Dan Lepards book and I make a couple of loaves every weekend. I prove my loaves in Bannetons but I just can't stop the loaves spreading when I turn them onto the hot tray. I have tried turning the dough and working as fast as possible. I just don't know how commercial bakers do it - I see pics of rows of loaves sitting on a peel waiting to be put in the oven with what seems all the time in the world - and they dont spread - the sit up tall! How do the do it. When I buy my favorite loaf (Daniel Chirico) it is moist and chewy with nice large holes - and it seem like it has been proved in the upright position. To get the holes I need a wetter dough but the wetter it is, the more it spreads. Any new suggestions?

Category: 
up
265 users have voted.

Replies

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 9

Trevor, for big holes you really don't need need a wet wet dough, you need a very well developed gluten, a long time to ferment and a hot stone.
A good shaping technique will help, of course, but some Italian bakers doesn't really shape at all, only cut.
Nevertheless, a bread with a very wet dough like the "La Brea Rustic Bread" always spread, the wetter the more it runs bright.

carla's picture
carla 2006 October 10

[quote="bianchifan"]
Nevertheless, a bread with a very wet dough like the "La Brea Rustic Bread" always spread, the wetter the more it runs [b]bright.[/b]
[/quote]

You mean it runs [b]breit[/b]

As in German "wide"?

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 10

[quote="carla"]
You mean it runs [b]breit[/b]
[/quote]
oh no..only indirect, ok, was a little bit short, I meant grinning bright (Ya know Frank Zappa?)
I've understood this term as (Special for you carla in Pidgian English) Grinning like a honey cake horse , don't know, how it's called in English

He, The Dough, smirks at you sayin "ahh, old boy, kepp on fu...around..I do what I wanna do and not what you want me to.."

All right?

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 10

Frank Zappa! Markus you are going to Oz Fest aren't you? I love Zappa!
Dynamo hum may be agood metaphor for honey cake and breit!

jejejeje
Jeremy

bianchifan's picture
bianchifan 2006 October 10

[quote="Jeremy"]
Markus you are going to Oz Fest aren't you?
[/quote]
I do try..

Oh yeah, Dinah Moe Hum, the humble in the dynamo..
Unfortunately I've never seen that group with extraordinary Ruth Underwood, but a later formation with Steve Vai..in a double feature with Carlos Santana..I tell you..smurf

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 October 10

Yeah Zappa ruled, not bad Santana! i saw Bowie in Frankfurt years ago, in a field where the Romans were defeated by the Germans(hey Carla there is some history!)

Jeremy

Already a member? Login