Afghan Flat bread recipe

Croc

i googled and there is quite a few out there, did anyone tried making those mid-east flat breads and can recommend good version of recipe?

my wife used to work not far from afghan food place and it wasn't best looking place but the food was 100% fantastic, the flat bread they had was best i ever had and since my wife works in other corrner of melbourne now i don't get my bread so its time to do it myself

some recipes call for use of ghee other dont, than there is version with spoon of yoghurt and one without yoghurt at all
melted butter for brushing on top and no butter at all

i'm going to try the one with butter today but not sure what butter should i use? salted or unsalted?

Category: 
up
303 users have voted.

Replies

Croc 2006 August 5

i just checked and i still got some ghee from last time i made faratha (roti)
so i guess i might try that version

SourDom 2006 August 5

these are my favourites, courtesy of the great DL

[url]http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=720[/url]

dom

Croc 2006 August 6

[quote="SourDom"]
these are my favourites, courtesy of the great DL

[url]http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=720[/url]

dom
[/quote]

this is not what i was after but you just saved me 100s of hours with this recipe

i make faratha (spelling?) is sort of roti bread, mauritian version
the process of making i been told by my mother in law is traditional but takes lots of time, with this recipe after modification to mauritian recipe but keeping the way DL rolls is and than cut and roll make the whole process 10 time shorter, no jokes.
thank you very much

plus it isn't bad recipe too, i made few just 2 hours ago and see if my family likes it better than maybe i even stay with this one.

still after the afghan flat bread so if someone got good source of how true afghan flat bread should be made i'm all ears

chembake 2006 August 6

[quote]
still after the afghan flat bread so if someone got good source of how true afghan flat bread should be made i'm all ears
[/quote]

I have seen how a true afghan bread is made in the Middle East using a sort of a domed clay oven( a version of tandoori oven? I suppose)...with spiked walls.
The bread is called Tamees...
The dough piece is stuck inside the oven walls and baked...
It is just a normal flat bread recipe raised with yeast but contains some sugar and shortened with Ghee.
In other version they add yoghurt. They dock the dough sometimes sprinkle it with both white and black sesame seeds. Sometimes they add cumin or even fennel and aniseeeds.Its approximately one and half foot diameter.
I have seen some afghan bakers that used their version of 'sourdough' using an old dough( pate fermentee?) where they perpetuate it by adding to the new batch of dough and then by the end of the day taking a small piece and use it for the next batch of dough which they ferment it overnight and start baking by dawn.
The tamees taste better this way .
I can estimate by placing my hand inside the oven atmosphere that the approximate baking temperature of that oven ranges from 300 degree to 350 degree centigrade..

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 7

[url=http://www.thestar.com.my/kuali/recipes/roti.html]More recipes for you to try[/url].......also helping you to heat up your kitchen to make your starter cosy and happy.

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 August 7

[quote="chembake"]
I can estimate by placing my hand inside the oven atmosphere that the approximate baking temperature of that oven ranges from 300 degree to 350 degree centigrade..
[/quote]

Gosh.

Already a member? Login