Sourdough Focaccia...

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl

Just baked a loaf of focaccia using white leaven at 100% hydration. Did not do a good job at dimpling the top before baking though.
[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/donyeokl/focaccia.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/donyeokl/focaccia2.jpg[/img]

Adjusted the contrast just a little to give a better cross-section of the bread.
[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/donyeokl/focaccia1.jpg[/img]

Happy Baking...

Don

Category: 
up
269 users have voted.

Replies

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 April 28

Don, that's the best one I've seen in a while. Bit more agressive with the fingers next time

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 April 28

Hi Bill & TP,

Thanks for the compliment...
By the way, I used "All purpose" flour instead of bread flour. Just thought of giving it a try and it turn out well.

[quote]
Don, that's the best one I've seen in a while. Bit more agressive with the fingers next time
[/quote]

Bill, I will remember that...

Cheers...

Don

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 April 28

Hey Don, nice to see you've joined eGull. I pinched your recipe while I was checking out the latest posts.

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 April 28

Hi Bill,

No problem... please try it and let me know the outcome. The process will be very familiar to you and I believe you will have your own way doing it. Please do post some pics if you have baked it.

Appreciate that...

Cheers

Don

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 April 28

Yes Don will do. The short knead stretch and fold process is very familiar, and a great way of handling high hydration doughs. I think we owe Dan Lepard a great debt.
I'll do mine on a baking stone and more than likely cheat by putting on the top element for a couple of minutes if the top needs a bit of a brown. It usually depends on what topping I use, my favourite is olive oil, coarse sea salt and rosemary. Another neat trick is to put about 1/4 teaspoon each of dried oregano and basil into the dough, great flavour.

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 April 29

Hi Bill,

Yes sir, think we owe the BIG man a great debt!!! I would have still been kneading dough like what I use to know if I had not found info on that...

[quote]
I'll do mine on a baking stone and more than likely cheat by putting on the top element for a couple of minutes if the top needs a bit of a brown. It usually depends on what topping I use, my favourite is olive oil, coarse sea salt and rosemary. Another neat trick is to put about 1/4 teaspoon each of dried oregano and basil into the dough, great flavour.
[/quote]

Yup, you have all the know how to make it look and taste better buddy... Will definately try your suggestion the next time when I bake another loaf. Bill, how far away are you located from Sydney?

Cheers...

Don

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 April 29

[quote="donyeokl"]
Bill, how far away are you located from Sydney?
[/quote]
About 100K North of the centre of Sydney. Gorokan on the Central Coast.

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 April 29

donyeokl ... where can I read the info on kneading! I don't think I'm (hand) kneading quite long enough ....

Carol.

Jeremy's picture
Jeremy 2006 April 29

Souryum,
Try getting Dan Lepards book or check out Mick from Bethesda for some insight! Heck if your brave you may ask Chembake?

Jeremy

donyeokl's picture
donyeokl 2006 April 29

Hi Carol,

[quote]
donyeokl ... where can I read the info on kneading! I don't think I'm (hand) kneading quite long enough ....
[/quote]

I read the info on Dan Lepard's book called "The Handmade Loaf" or alternatively you might get some info from this thread

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=2 ... opic=80140

Look for the member "danlepard" in the thread. He posted a simple recipe with the kneading techniques and all...

Hope this helps...

Happy Baking...

Don

SourYumMum's picture
SourYumMum 2006 April 30

Thanks Gentlemen!

Jeremy - ask Chembake? That's hilarious! Whilst I might be brave I try not to be foolish! I'd rather watch you blokes spar with him!!!

And thanks donyeokl for the link ... I'll read it.

I fully intend to get Dan's book when I've recovered from the re-wiring of the house (ouch). I note that Amazon only has about 7 copies left ... Dan might need to rustle up a re-print!!

On a different note, I have just had the most wonderful tamarind beef curry for my lunch, made by Sri Lankan-born Amorelle Dempster. Amorelle has been in Australia for about 30 years I think ... and runs a 'curry club' in Newcastle each Friday. It was just delicious! I have watched her grind and roast and prepare her spices ... I guess what she cooks is the curry and spice equivalent of the difference between supermarket white bread and handmade sourdough.

Amorelle has been having a look at sourdough.com.au ... we might hear from her soon! It would be nice to swap recipes with her!

chembake 2006 April 30

[quote]
Whilst I might be brave I try not to be foolish! I'd rather watch you blokes spar with him!!!

[quote]

Souryum,,,,,I am chivalrous to the ladies.... ( doing a curtsy at the same time )
Come on, queen of hearts ..I give you the permission to pick my brains
[/quote] [/quote]

Already a member? Login