Olive and Tomato.

Bill44's picture
Bill44

A lightly herbed basic white with olives and semi-dried tomato. Should have had another 5 min in the oven.

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/3835-1/new_Olive+005.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sourdough.com.au/gallery/d/3837-1/new_Olive+008.jpg[/img]

Category: 
up
238 users have voted.

Replies

Graham's picture
Graham 2006 April 22

Beautifully formed Bill . And for this style of loaf i like the subtlety of the exterior. i.e nicely proven with a moderate yet unpronounced oven break. The loafs strength and uniqueness is within, and revealed later. I like little surprises like that.

Graham

TeckPoh's picture
TeckPoh 2006 April 22

Lovely!

Thanks, Bill, for sharing pix of your daily breads. Coming from a place where such breads are the exception rather than the norm, these provide great opportunities for me to glean ideas.

SourDom 2006 April 22

Bill,

your bread (as always) looks beautiful.

Was the layering of olives intended to look akin to a savoury Swiss roll? (I think that it looks great BTW)

I confess that I used the laminating technique in the olive bread that I made last week as a way to spread olives evenly throughout the loaf at a late stage in bulk fermentation without degassing the dough. Because the 'swiss roll' was rolled very tightly, with the ends folded over each other, and then the loaf was subsequently shaped, it didn't have that layered appearance.

cheers
Dom

Bill44's picture
Bill44 2006 April 22

Dom, I try and do it this way when it is intended as a loaf for lunch with an antipasto plate. It is cut in thick chunks and is sort of an "Automatic Sandwich" to be supplemented with various types of sausage and cheeses etc.
For a more traditional type of olive loaf I always use less "filling" and chop it up fine, and I try to dry it as much as possable. I then knead it in at the knock back stage, after tossing the filling in a little flour immediatly before.

For both methods the first proof is a bit shorter than for a normal loaf so there is plenty of growth left in the dough. Overnight in the fridge does wonders for the flavour distribution of the herbs and olives etc.

The loaf pictured was done at 62% and for a chopped filling loaf I usually use 60% as a lot of steam comes out of the olives and tomatos which can wreck the filling adhesion. 62% is fine when it is to be cut into chunks because your hand holds it together.

Already a member? Login