100% Rye

Alvaremj's picture

Well, I have finally decided it was time to stop flirting with higher and higher Rye percentages and just go head first into 100% Rye. Excited and optimistic I come up with a recipe similar to vollkornbrot and I'm off! ...............As you can imagine I have a dense but tasty loaf. My goal is to make a moist Rye with a tight but not dense crumb. So here are my questions;

1. I used 40% preferment, should I go higher?

2. I only used a one stage build, if I use a 2 or 3 stage a la Detmolder will I get more loft?

3. I basically followed the formula in Hammelmans book for the timing 10-20 min bulk, 50-60 min proof, bake 475 for 15 min then 360 for 1 hour 15 minutes

Do you have any thoughts on a better schedule?

Thanks in advance!

11 users have voted.

DVTO2 2012 October 28

I went through a "wheat free" phase last year and ate only 100% rye.  I'm not sure of all your terminology but this is what I did. 

I used 80 gms of starter to build 180 gms of "preferment".  My starter is active in as little as 6 and I can drag it out as long as 12 hours, though it starts to deflate by then.

I mix 500 gms rye flour, 2 tsp salt and anywhere from 360 to almost 400 gms of water for a 75% to 80% hydration.   Mix to a "ragged mess", rest for 10 minutes, and then knead two or three times at 10 minute intervals before spooinging into a loaf pan.  Depending on my scedule,  I would then let it proof at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours or so, or leave it overnight in the fridge and then let it warm up for 4 hours or so.  I bake it at about 430 for almost an hour. I don't have a good picture of the crumb but it is dense and chewy but with good flavor.  The crust can be pretty hard.  I am eating mostly wheat again but will look forward to your experiments here.

SlackerJohn 2012 October 28

Check out the pictures in this link http://sourdough.com/recipes/scandinavian-rye-bread-authority

Is this the sort of crumb you are looking for?

I have made this bread successfully (the cracked rye can be omitted).  Note that the bulk ferment is overnight, followed by around 5 hours of proving, with baking in the evening.

By comparison, your timings are very short, especially for a rye loaf which is never going to be very airy.

Alvaremj's picture
Alvaremj 2012 October 28

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I figured that the rising times were very short. I guess thats what I get for followig a recipe and not my instincts. I think the next time around I will substantially increase all my rising times. The picture in the link above looks good to me.

I'll post my next try this comeing week hopefully with some pictures

Alvaremj's picture
Alvaremj 2012 November 7

Well It went better this time around. I used a 3 stage build for the starter with about 9 hours in between. I was planning on letting it rise for 6 hrs plus but it had risen about 40% in 2 ours so I went ahead and baked it. The curmb is nice and tender without being dense. I still want to work on the add-ins and their proportions. I used rye berries, rye flakes and sunflower seeds. Thanks for reading!

Files must be less than 400 MB.
Allowed file types: png gif jpg jpeg.

• Allowed HTML tags: <p> <br> <a> <em> <strong> <h2> <h3> <h4> <h5> <h6> <table> <thead> <th> <tbody> <td> <tr> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.